[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Very high current ?

Hi every one,
    I seem to be having some really heavy currents in my tank circuit.
I'm running a 6" coil in my basement at close to 6 Kw. I power the coil
using a 14.4 Kv pole pig. My tank circuit capacitance is .026 Uf. The
gap is linear air cooled (9 gaps). The coil seems to be preforming
fairly well. The farthest object in the basement is 81" away. I get hits
to it and everything else in the basement. Metal screens which are
grounded protect all of vitals. Several weeks ago my RF choke melted. It
was wound with 18 AWG. The PVC core even melted. Keep in mind the run
times have all been less than 15 sec. Last night I examined my tank
circuit caps. The connections to the terminals are wired with 10 AWG.
The insulation had melted off of the wires ! What is happening here ?
Has anyone else experienced this ? Can I put an Amp meter on the HV side
and check the current ? Its a clip on type and I could mount it with the
meter facing me.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated

paul m.