[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Re rolled capacitor plate tabs

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: Gary Lau  20-Jan-1999 1106 <lau-at-hdecad.ENET.dec-dot-com>

> However, since the recent thread on this List about the significance of
> off-axis primary inductance, I'm not so sure that a cap's ESL matters in
> Tesla applications.  It is probably true that ESR is the more significant
> loss mechanism (behind dielectric losses of course) and that this is
> possibly correlated with ESL, but even this may be minor compared with
> gap losses.

I think the ESR is the significant parameter, because it affects the Q
of the primary, and because the heat dissipated affects the max power
you can run.  Extra L just changes the resonant frequency.
--
Jim Lux                               Jet Propulsion Laboratory
ofc: 818/354-2075     114-B16         Mail Stop 161-213