[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Now, How does a coil really work??

Hi Ed,

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: Ed Phillips <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>
>
> Not sure what you mean by "how often can we fire the gap....", but the
> answer is many times per half-cycle of the line frequency if you set the
> gap small enough. On the other hand, if you set the gap wide enough (and
> your transformer doesn't short), or if you reduce the primary voltage to
> your transformer, you can get the gap to fire once every few cycles if
> the capacitor is series resonant with the transformer leakage
> inductance.  (This is sometimes called "the matched capacitor".  You can
> get all sorts of chaoatic behavior too.

I know this is probably no-brainers for many, but not myself. I had always
assumed
the gap fired once per half-cycle, but then I'm figuring that the gap
spacing is
set for this. I have never tried a static gap except in-line with a rotary.
But I'm
sure your right. That's what I was getting at. It makes sense that you
could fire
the gap several times per cycle, and yes, the gap width would be the
adjustable
factor.

But, like I said, most really don't know what their break rate is on their
static
gaps. It may and probably is much higher than the assumed 120Hz or 100Hz. I
know
there are a few who actually set up their gaps to break at Vp = once per
1/2 cyle,
but I bet most do not. I've noticed a lot of variation in arc lengths on
static
gaps. The break rate I'm guessing is a large factor to this.

> I've run a number of simulations which produce results which agree very
> well with my observations, considering the simplifications involved.
> Should collect some of the predicted waveforms and have them ready to
> send to anyone who is interested.
>
> Ed

Ed, sign me up. I would like to view your simulations. I've got Microsim's
PSpice
version 8.0, if this is what you've used as a simulator.

Bart