[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Scope pictures of my TC: how I did it

to: Marco

For sec Hv measuring as follows:

Use a reasonable large sphere (20-60 cm dia).  Apply a piece of insulating
tape to an area of the sphere.  Attach some aluminum foil or piece of metal
to this tape leaving a 1 inch margin all around.   Area required approx 20
cm squared.   Hook a shielded pickup wire to the piece of metal and the
ground side to the large sphere.  Run this shielded cable back to your
scope and thru a 5 ohm resistor.  This forms a nice capacitive pickup that
can be calibrated against another source for peak HV readings.  Sphere is
of course grounded.

Dr.Resonance-at-next-wave-dot-net

----------
> From: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Scope pictures of my TC: how I did it
> Date: Tuesday, January 26, 1999 5:08 AM
>
> Original Poster: "Marco Denicolai" <Marco.Denicolai-at-tellabs.fi>
>
> Last saturday I measured my TC with a scope. I got:
>
> - primary current
> - primary voltage
> - secondary voltage
> - secondary base current
>
> A great simplification was that at the laboratory were I performed the
> measurements they had a really huge ground (it's the Helsinki High
Voltage
> Institute). This means I could use the same ground for everything,
> including secondary, tank and oscilloscope.
>
> Primary and secondary (base) currents I measured with a "current
> transformer" (a toroid you just pass through the wire carrying the
current
> you want to measure). As it is a CURRENT transformer, you need also a
shunt
> to generate a voltage to measure at the secondary of the transformer:
note,