[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Now, How does a coil really work??

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz" <acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br>
>
> Marco Denicolai wrote:
>
> > - now the part that many people skip: when the spark gap opens, the
> > secondary will go on oscillating freely at its natural frequency until all
> > its energy is dissipated into losses.
> >
> > - another part that many skip: the effect of streamers on all the
above. If
> > a streamer is formed, it will suck the secondary energy and will dump
> > whatever is going on (energy transfer if the gap is still closed,
secondary
> > free oscillation if the gap is already open).
>
> These features are well known. The waveforms, however, are less
> interesting.
>
> > - now you have reached knowledge at the single bang level: what is the
> > effect of multiple consecutive bangs (i.e. a rotary gap)? I have no
answers
> > (yet) about their effect to streamer length, but at least they have no
> > effect on the secondary voltage until the bang rate is so high that you
are
> > able to catch the tail of the freely oscillating secondary and (again,
with
> > resonant charging) buildup a higher voltage.
>
> Remember also that for the buildup actually work, consecutive "bangs"
> must
> result in waveforms precisely in phase, otherwise the average result
> will
> be null.
>
> And since you mentioned Smythe, verify it there is a deduction for the
> electric field around a toroid in the book. Such expression would be
> useful
> in the determination of the breakout voltage for a toroid.
>
> Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz

Antonio, Marco, and all,

One of the best, most thorough, and quite technical analysis of tuned
resonant circuits is contained in some of the works by the Corum
brothers. Since Smythe's book was mentioned, it should also be mentioned
that James and Kenneth Corum discovered a mathematical error in Smythe's
analysis of lossy tuned-coupled circuits. Their excellent, and more
comprehensive, analysis of these deceptively simple systems is contained
in TC Tutor.

This gem still appears to be available at the relatively low price of
$12.00 from the Tesla Book Company:

  http://www3.ios-dot-com/~saladino/orderfm1.html
  1-800-398-2056
  P.O. BOX 121873