[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Caps in series

Capacitors in series add like resistors in parallel, so that if the capacitor
values are C1, C2, and C3, their equivalent capacitance when in series will be:
Ceq = 1 / ( 1/C1 + 1/C2 + 1/C3)
and since they're in series, the voltage rating will be the sum of their
individual voltage ratings, but it is wise to only put caps with the same
voltage rating and capacitance in series so the voltages divide evenly.
Adding caps in parallel means that the equivalent capacitance is the sum of the
inidividual capacitances, and the overall voltage rating is the least of the
individual voltage ratings.

cheers,
Tina
(first time list responder)