[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Rebuilding NST

On Wed, 30 Jun 1999 22:13:36 -0600 In the Tesla List
Adam <aspid-at-netzero-dot-net> wrote;

>I have unpotted a 15/30 nst and removed 2 shunt plates from each side
>of each secondary (eight total). Is that too many?

I've gone as far as removing 4 shunt laminations (two from each side)
with
no ill effects.

>...Now the primary is loose between the two secondaries. Should I move
the
>secondaries tight against the primary

NO, that will increase the tendency of primary to secondary breakdown!

>...or place some type of insulating shims between the primary and
secondaries?

YES! I use wax impregnated kiln dried wood wedges.

>I'm an engineer but not electrical, and am unclear as to whether it is
>the removal of the shunts that increases the current rating, or the
moving
>of the secondaries closer to the primary.

The increased current capacity IS due to the reduced number of magnetic
shunts!
The closeness of the secondary has no effect on a properly designed
transformer.

>My next question is whether I should repot this in something, or run it
dry.

You will get much better longevity out of the transformer if you can
remount
it in a plastic  (methylene chloride adhered Plexiglass) case and fill it
with
light mineral oil. This will improve high voltage insulation and is a
better
conductor of heat to help keep the transformer cool.

                                            Sincerely;

                                       Alfred A. Skrocki Sr.
                                    Alfred.Skrocki.Sr-at-juno-dot-com
                                    AlfredSkrocki-at-NetZero-dot-net