[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Ignition coil : mini tesla coil?

Only slightly understanding the construction of an ignition coil, could
(or does) it represent a mini tesla coil.  I have been working on one and
I don't know if this is or is not grounds for discussion on this list.  My
grounds for it is are being that it is like a solid state circuit, and I
will
possibly be driving a tesla tank circuit with one of these.

I've used a single 555 timer to turn on and off a 3055 on a VERY large
heatsink (500-1000 watts estimated.)  Even at full power and current,
the 3055 was only moderately warm, perhaps 90 degrees.  (For the
computer knowing people, it was the same temperature as my CPU
heatsink to the touch.)

I'm wanting to use to ignition coils, wired in anti-parrallel to produce
the high voltage to drive a tesla coil tank circuit.  So far I have not used
two coils at once, but I'm sure the 3055 could handle this.  Each icoil
was producing 1.5-2 inch sparks on its own, being driven by 17 volts.
Very good results, however, there was bright obvious corona between the
center HV lead, and the supply voltages on each side.

Any thoughts as always?

Jeff