[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: ignition coil Plasma ball

Pulse width is THE critical parameter when driving an ignition coil with a
low voltage (i.e. 12V).. You have to leave the power on long enough to get
the current through the coil high enough (that I = V/L *delta T thing) so
that you have a reasonable amount of stored energy (L*I^2/2).. A typical
coil current is 5A...

You can see that doubling the time makes the energy 4 times greater, so it
has a very large effect.  The HV impulse comes when the transistor turns
off (BTW, a 3055 won't last too long with 400 V across it... every time you
run it it gets a bit more thrashed... or, it just avalanches and acts like
a 100V zener, and dissipates a fair amount of energy and, more important
limits the output voltage) (Use an ignition transistor like a 2n6062 (I
think that's the number) with a BVceo of 400V, or a horizontal output
transistor (A radio shack part) with a BVceo of 700V)... both of these are
TO-3 packages, BTW).

In a V8 car application,  running at 6000 RPM (100 RPS), the pulse width is
about a millisecond.  (PRI = 2.5 mSec)

Capacitive discharge ignitions don't rely on the slow ramp up of current
and then the Ldi/dt to get voltage.. They charge up a (typically 1 uF) cap
to around 400V and just dump it into the coil.  400V doesn't take as long
to get the coil current up to 5A.