[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: AC Resistance Measurements

Hi Jim and All,

I got my new meter today and Tesla coil AC resistance measurements are well
within it's abilities.  It can measure about two orders of magnitude higher
than is needed.  I could use even more digits if I used the fancy filters
and measurement averaging but that would require that I read the manual :-)

The DC resistance of my coil is 70.085 ohms.  It has 1000 1/2 turns on a
10.25 inch diameter tube 30.0 inches long.  The wire gage is #24 which is
0.0201 inches in diameter so the length is SQRT((1000.5 x pi x 10.26)^2 +
30^2) / 12 = 2687.40 feet.  From the old ARRL chart the resistance should
be 26.17 ohms / 1000 feet or 70.329 ohms.  Pretty darn close!

The AC resistance is 540.2 ohms.  Subtracting the 70.33 ohms we get 469.9
ohms of pure AC skin effect (I guess) resistance.

The primary circuit with no secondary came in at 0.548 ohms.

The secondary resistance is higher than the 300 ohms I thought it was but
this measurement is far more accurate than looking at ringdown times.  Of
course, the primary resistance does not include the gap.  I think the
primary resistance is about 3 ohms so 2.5 ohms of that would be purely in
the gap.  If the primary dissipates 340 watts, then the gap is burning ~280
watts while the primary cap (0.030 ohms) is burning 3.4 watts (my cap
calculations has that at 8.3 watts??).  The primary coil and interconnect
wires are burning 56 watts.

I made the measurements at resonance so the coil and cap in both cases
should cancel each other just leaving the real resistance.  I measured
across a 100.00 ohm test resistor in series with a low impedance signal
generator.  The load of the meter and the "details" where modeled and
checked with MicroSim but nothing too dramatic there.

I am not sure knowing such things to high accuracy will change the universe
or anything but it is possible to measure...

For the record,
Lp = 121.2uH
Cp = 27.7nF
Ls = 75.4mH