[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Spark gap voltage transients

Hi Alwyn,

	Welcome to the group!

I have sent you my thoughts on secondaries and all of list but the primary
I have always considered as a simple inductor.  I did some experiments
regarding how messy low RF quality wiring vs good RF wiring affects the
primary in my paper at:

	www.peakpeak-dot-com/~terryf/tesla/experiments/newprib/NewPrib.html

along with a number of other papers at:

	www.peakpeak-dot-com/~terryf/tesla/experiments/experiments.html

that deal with primary circuit stuff.

It seems that the initial and zero crossing spikes hit the primary with
sharp transients.  These will set anything in the primary wiring that can
ring into heavy oscillation.  Thus, all the odd harmonics and generally
random looking high frequency stuff that is seen.  Good thick RF wiring
seems to reduce all these little stray capacitances and inductances so they
generate far less noise.  Modeling shows these effects but they are too
complex for a model to reproduce exactly.  If you move the primary wiring a
bit it can all change...

I would ALWAYS put the main gap across the transformer.  The paper at:

http://www.peakpeak-dot-com/~terryf/tesla/experiments/primarycircuits/pricir.html

shows some experiments with this.  the gap acts as a short to stop the RF
from getting back into the transformer where the RF currents my do bad
things when mixed with the many fine windings of the secondary.  Also, a
good RF filter will really stop the RF so practically nothing gets back to
the neon.  I have a diagram at:

	www.peakpeak-dot-com/~terryf/tesla/misc/filt1.jpg

This should be pretty effective.  Some people report that the resistors get
very very hot while others don't seem to have that problem.  The root of
this discrepancy has never been resolved although the resistors can get up
to 300C in "normal" operation...  In my later designs I use only two
resistors and a single safety gap but I am not sure that would work in
every configuration.

Cheers,

	Terry