[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Best sparks

----------
From:  terryf-at-verinet-dot-com [SMTP:terryf-at-verinet-dot-com]
Sent:  Tuesday, June 30, 1998 8:49 PM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: Best sparks

Hi Greg,

At 10:47 PM 6/29/98 -0500, you wrote:

>----------

        What I suspect is that once the arc breaks out, it needs additional
current very quickly to sustain and help the arc.  In order to get this
current out fast, the top capacitance should be able to deliver charge at
maximum speed.  This event is fairly local to the top terminal and the
surrounding charged space.  There should not be too much coupling back to
the secondary ground except by capacitance around the secondary.
        It is obvious that arcs have very powerful high frequency
oscillations.  We don't quite understand why but it is probably best to help
those oscillations occur.  When the top discharges at high speed it may be
causing high local field stresses that help push the arc to greater distances.

        Terry Fritz