[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Safety gap and first light

Bill

I would never say that a cap safety gap is needed, unless you are using
super-expensive brand-new metal-cased Maxwell pulse caps. The other
safety gaps should be fine here. Your cap is insufficiently rated, and
your main gap is too wide! There is no other way your cap safety gap
would fire unless this is the case. For 15kV you need *AT LEAST* two
layers of 60 mil poly, perhaps 2 caps in series or even 2 of two layers
of 40 mil. BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING with your primary circuit make sure
your main gap fires without anything else connected, ie just the xfrmr
and the gap, at about 90% of max setting on variac. This is the only
way to determine the total gap spacing you will need. Also, when tuning,
close the gap down to, at the widest, 1/4 of this - then you can tune OK
at low power and not worry about overvolting your cap.
If your cap is a flat layer type, make sure
you have left plenty of margin on every side to avoid flashovers.
Where the poles leave the sides of the dielectric the next foil *must*
be spaced at least 2" in from the edge of the previous, opposing one.
Otherwise at even 12kV you are asking for trouble. Also make sure that
you have rounded the edges on all foils - time-consuming but worth it.

Either get rebuilding or do a MMC like others who got fed up of
chopping up umpteen pieces of poly and foil! (ouch, those scissor
burns!!!)

It *will* work - congratulations on 1st light!

Stay safe

Alex Crow