[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: red capacitors

Hi Kevin, Ed, all,

> Original Poster: Ed Phillips <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>
>
> Those "red capacitors" sound very much liie ceramic HV filter
> capacitors, and will probably work in TC service.  While they may have
> lot of dielectric loss, the series resistance and inductance are low
> they should achieve pretty high peak currents.  Have been running
> something similar here for several years, and hav en't popped any
> I kept the run times down to avoid overheating.  You certainly have
> nothing to lose by trying them!

Right Ed, those ARE ceramic (line filter)caps. The clue to the deal
was the comment "X5R". This is only used on ceramic caps. The
"15kV" in the signature are most likely 15kV DC. All ceramic caps,
I have seen, have only a DC rating printed on them. The only thing
you have to watch out for is runtime (very low; similar to mylar
caps). The might degrade over time (lose capacitance, due to the
silver electrode layer being force-evaporated). But as you (Kevin)
have them, why not use them for starters? You can always upgrade
to another cap type (like a [E]MMC ;o}), once you have found the
optimal capacitance for your coil. 3 in series might be a bit on the
low side. I would start out with 4 or 5 in series for a 9kV xformer.

Coiler greets from germany,
Reinhard