[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Tesla stuff for sale

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: Doug Brunner <dabrunner-at-earthlink-dot-net>
>
> Do you think it could survive Tesla duty? I could put it in oil if necessary.
>
> Tesla List wrote:
>
> > Original Poster: Bert Hickman <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-com>
> >
> > Tesla List wrote:
> > >
> > > Original Poster: Doug Brunner <dabrunner-at-earthlink-dot-net>
> > >
> > > I've been looking at the .01uF, 80kV cap that was mentioned in the list
> > > of stuff for sale, and it looks about right for my installation. What I
> > > want to know is, how big is it, and is it a pulse discharge cap? If the
> > > seller or anyone else could clarify this, I'd really appreciate it.
> > >
> > > P.S. I'm still looking for a transformer design program, so if you know
> > > of one, or a source for blocks of ferrite, please tell me!
> > >
> > >             --Doug Brunner
> > >                 <dabrunner-at-earthlink-dot-net>
> >
> > Doug,
> >
> > I have reviewed this item with the seller. Based upon its size and
> > similarity to one I already have, this is a Mylar dielectric DC filter
> > cap out of an x-ray system, and it's really not suitable for RF work.
> > However, it would make a nice cap for an impulse generator, and the
> > price is reasonable.
> >
> > -- Bert --

Doug,

It will tend to rapidly overheat, but at $15.00 a cap you're not talking
about much at risk. :^)

Immersing in oil may help a bit, but the real problem is rapid heat
buildup deep inside the capacitor rolls that can't escape rapidly enough
to the outside of the cap. Any extended run-times will likely "toast"
the cap irrespective of whether you put the caps in oil...

-- Bert --