[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

A few answers to the questions

Answers interspersed below...

----------
> From: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: A few questions
> Date: Friday, June 18, 1999 5:47 AM
>
> Original Poster: christopher boden <chrisboden-at-hotmail-dot-com>
>
> A couple questions from the Geeks.
>
> 1. What is the effect of capping the ends of the secondary? Is it really
> nessessary? Why?

It helps to prevent internal arcing. Before sealing the last endcap on
it is a good idea to blow warm air into the cyclinder for about
30 seconds. This helps to drive out any lingering moisture. You can
use a hair drier. Just be careful and don't melt your coil form!

You can actually run without endcaps, but the endcaps give you a bit
of extra insurance against damaging your beloved secondary.

> 2. Has anyone ever thought of using MOV's instead of a safety gap? Would
> this be possible? Why?

It would most likely be quite expensive to get MOVs that would do
the job at the voltage ratings that would be required. Besides,
you really can't get much cheaper than the few pieces of junk that
you need to build a simple safety gap.

It also wouldn't look as cool. (High Geek factor! We Geeks LOVE things that
look cool)

> 3. If the secondary is capped, is it good practice to mount studs in either
> cap for electrical connections to the ground strap and toroid?
> Why?

YIKES! If you introduce anything metallic *through* the endcaps you have just
circumvented the function of the endcaps, which is to prevent any HV
arcing from occuring inside the secondary. Instead, do this:
Mount any studs you want on a separate endcap layer that you then epoxy to the
encap that is doing the protection stuff. But by all means do *not*
penetrate the existing endcap!

> 4. We have 2 15' ground rods with VERY heavy ACSR wires connected to each.
> We had them placed espically for TC use. They're 2' apart with less than 1
> ohm between rods.
> How do we connect them to the TC? Should we use the ACSR or copper strap?
> Why?

Do *not* use Radio Shack alligator clip leads :)
You want a really good RF ground, right? The *best* thing is flat
copper strap, as you get the most surface conduction. Next best would
be the wire you mentioned. Be aware that it is mainly the surface
area that conducts the RF currents. That is why flat copper strap
is best. Avoid braided wire such as the outer braid from coax cables.
While it will work, it has much higher losses due to the fact that the
braided strands dive under one another every so often, and then the
RF currents try to change to another wire set, causing localized
heating at these sites. Bad news.

Some people try to get by with a single strand of something like #12 wire,
but this size wire does not have sufficient surface area to handle
the base currents unless you have a very low wattage coil.

Remember *Surface Area*!!! Keep the connection to the coil as large as
possible. It is useless to have a great high-quality flat copper connecting
cable and then just 'hope' that the thing connects well to the secondary.
Use a good sized BRASS or copper flat washer on either side of the wire
connection point. Make a good, snug connection. If too loose, the
connection point can become extemely hot, as we are dealing here with
some pretty hefty currents.

> 5. How many licks does it take to get to the tootsie-roll center of a
> tootsie pop? Will the world ever know? Why?

This depends on the size and texture of your tongue, and the quantity
and quality of your saliva. In addition, the mechanical friction of the
tongue aids in the dissolving process. Removing the wrapper also helps.

> Thanks Guys, and don't get dead.
>
> The Coronaphile
> Christopher A. Boden
> The Geek Group