[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Inductive Kick Effects (tests), and new ballast

I believe that the part arrangement has to do with that.  You would need two
spark gaps.  One is a start gap, which has a smaller gap than you would
normally use with a single gap coil, and this is the primary on gap.  If you
used a choke coil in parallel with the primary on it's way ground the kick
would cause by the first gap trying to reach ground, could cause the second
gap to fire.  I believe that the inductance of the second should be higher
than the primary by far because, it's simply there to initiate another stop
gap.  If you used a second transformer, and it's value of combined
inductance of the primary, and secondary in parallel, and in phase.  Should
act like a high pass step up, and low pass step down.  The total inductance
would tell you the time delay before the voltage reached a point where the
second gap.  Once it's hot, it should finish.  In essense you would then
have the primary of the tesla, in parallel with the primary, and secondary,
were the resonant frequency would be a combined result of all three.  You
would almost need an adjustable primary, or secondary on that new
transformer to control the exact level of inductance.  Variac.  That would
take trial and error calculations.

James.