[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Sync Motor Conversion

Hi All,

	Following the instructions that have been floating around.  I converted a
new 1/4HP AC motor to a really nice 1800 RPM salient pole sync motor.  It
was very easy.  The instructions I used are at:

http://www.peakpeak-dot-com/~terryf/tesla/misc/syncmot.zip

The motor comes apart easily.  I covered the bearings and other parts of
the rotor in plastic wrap to keep out dust.  I used the shorting turns
around the rotor as a guide to where the four flats should be ground.  I
then just let an angle grinder with 60 grit do the work.  You only have to
remove about 0.050 inches of material so it is not to bad.  A little skill
is needed to keep the grind flat but it was no big deal.  Just keep the
grinding disk flat against the rotor.  I tried to remove an equal amount of
material and all that but it was easy to do and I don't think you could
mess it up too badly (on a 1800 RPM).  It took about an hour.  I highly
recommend this to anyone with a vise and an electric grinder.  Although,
one can "imagine" doing it with a file, I think the grinder is far far far
easier.  Well worth renting.

I would imagine the 3600RPM conversion would be much more difficult due to
the larger amount of material you have to remove and the more critical
balancing...

Although not the greatest bit of Tesla coil technology.  I have a big *.gif
file of a strobe disk below.  I find it very useful to print out on nice
paper and stick to rotors.

http://www.peakpeak-dot-com/~terryf/tesla/misc/strobe.gif

Florescent lights give a very nice pattern.  However, it would be nice to
have a fast, simple, cheap, etc. strobe light.  I was wondering if a MOV of
about 160 volts breakdown and a current limiting resistor in series with a
florescent or other gas tube simply run from the AC line would do the trick??

Cheers,

	Terry