[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Watt Meter

<< Original Poster: "Vivian Watts" <V.C.Watts-at-btinternet-dot-com>

> Hi All,
>     Being interested in the difference between the VA rating and the rms.
> power taken by my coil I managed to purchase a Watt meter at a local Amateur
> Radio Rally.  It is rated for A.C and D.C. but I'm not sure it is suitable
> for giving the true power on reactive loads and was wondering if anyone
> knew.  It is a Weston Model 310 made in Newark NJ USA dated 1941.  It is
> referred to as a electrodynamometer wattmeter.  Frequency range to 133Hz.
> Cost £10 ($15).

> regards

> Viv Watts (UK) >>

Hi Viv,

That's an excellent wattmeter, at a good price.  It's the same model
I use for my TC work.  I live about 15 miles from Newark NJ BTW.  It
will give true watt readings on reactive loads unless there are
harmonics above 133Hz that upset it's behaviour.  I consider it to be
accurate enough for my work.  I'll be interested to hear of your findings
with your coil using the wattmeter.

Cheers,
John Freau