[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Displacement current

to: Rich Hull

Displacement currents do exist and they do have a magnetic field.  A common
example of displacement current is a EM wave, ie, radio.  It has both a
magnetic and electric component.  At UW (Wis) and Sandia they measure
displacement currents and magnetic fields in plasmas almost on a daily
basis.

A SQUID is not the proper type of probe for this type of experiment.  The
problem is that the magnetic field is very small even though the current is
very high --- the current is spread out through the entire plate area and
usually only amounts to 1/2 to 1 ampere per cm squared even in caps firing
thousands of amperes in discharge mode.  The current density is very small
and the SQUID would be a very poor choice as a measuring instrument for this
magnetic field.  In this experiment you described the SQUID would only
measure 1/2% (or less) of the total magnetic field in the area and may not
produce any results at all --- as you described.

The second problem is a vacuum has a very low dielectric constant.  To
properly conduct this type of experiment a very high dielectric constant
material such as barium titanate would be used and microwaves would also be
employed.  It can and is daily measured in a vacuum but with microwaves not
low frequency waves --- the magnetic field value is so low at low
frequencies it is nearly impossible to measure -- at least extremely
difficult.

Maxwell's frequencies were relatively low even after Hertz proved their
existence.  Only during the "big bomb" research during WWII did accurate
methods of measuring displacement currents develop using magnetrons and
better dielectrics.

This data from my old group at UW-Wisconsin.

Also, if you happen to have the reference on Dr. Bartlett's work one of them
would like to look it up for reference.  Please advise.

Regards,

Dr.Resonance-at-next-wave-dot-net