[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Tesla Coil Electrical Fields - was Dangers of running 2

Tesla List wrote:

> <snip>
>
> I am no longer able to make meaningful measurements in my garage
> unless I remove all the resonators hanging around in there. I've seen
> all sorts of excitations going on while doing simple coupling and
> sshot measurements on a setup. Moving the scope probe near the other
> coils shows beat envelopes from most of them, earthed or not.
>
> Malcolm

Malcolm,

I once lost a fairly large resonator that was just sitting on a shelf
minding its own business because it got excited by an operating coil in
the same room and the free end wire off the top of the winding was just
dropped inside the big PVC tube and it arced through the PVC form to get
at itself about mid windings. It made a heck of a mess (you know how PVC
breaks down into nasty corrosive products). I now practice shorting
end-to-end, all unused resonators being stored in the firing room.
Merely grounding them will not keep 'em from joining in the chorus,
unless you ground both ends.

Robert W. Stephens