[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: HDPE container caps

On Mon, 01 Mar 1999 12:08:59 -0700, Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: Terry Fritz <twf-at-verinet-dot-com>
>

> >> snip
>  The good news is that many milk,
> food, laundry detergent, and automotive fluid comtainers are
> HDPE.
> >> snip
>
>    Jim,
>         the bad news is that many of these items are not only recyclable
> but are recycled already.... in general reprocessed material have
> inferior
> electrical properties along with a high void content,pin holes,
> dyes,ect.
> depending on the final application the "recycled" product is a mixture
> of
> melt densities that make the end product almost like a aggregate sort of
> like concrete............. a real witches brew  for electrical
> applications.
> best bet is virgin PE/PP natural, no colorants. for .010 and up check
> out
> www.pennfibre-dot-com.
>
> .... as a aside i am pondering having a "die" buit that would punch out
> PE,PP,and the like for making plate caps(i have a buddy at a die cutting
> company)neat clean cuts of any geometry! is there a "perfered size/shape
> that is more predominate?(hint share the die charge with me)

I recently purchased a plastic welder in which I have constructed HDPE
boxes to hold water for the purpose of building water electrolysizors. The
way the weld is made is by blowing hot air over a rod or strand that melts
into the seam or corner. Nitrogen is used for the best weld; moisture is a
detriment. I was thinking about making a square poly cap since 4 inch by 6
inch aluminum flashing is readily available. I have read that the air
pockets should not exist in a high voltage cap: these plates could then be
preheated and pressed  into the poly squares. Pressure and heated gas could
act to seal two layers of poly around a single layer of aluminum. Can
someone say whether this would be a good method of construction? How much
voltage protection would 1/4 inch hdpe spacing give me? How about using
melted parafin as a seal between layers? I know from past chemical IR
readings that the two substances are very simular. New to list:forgive many
questions. HDN