[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: HV wiring

CONGRATULATIONS! Good to hear all the hard work and persistence paid
off!

> Just to let everyone know, my step son received first place at his science
> fair and is advancing on to the regional science fair on March 27th.  We'll
> keep you posted.
>
> Also, what is it that most of you use as HV leads and wiring on your TC's?
> Like the lines runnig from your Xfmr, etc.  On my step son's coil I used 12
> ga stranded, insulated wire fed through vinyl tubing.

Some use heavy auto type battery cables. I just used #10 Stranded and
have had no problems.

> Another question I have is how do most of you run the wire from the top of
> the secondary to the toroid?  How do you attach it?  Is each case
> different?  The reason I ask, on my step son's coil we used a brass coated
> door knob, the wire ran from the top of the form right to the center of the
> upper cap and attached to the door knob.  The only problem was the corona
> and arcs off of the wire before it got to the knob.  Is this a sign of
> something else?

I flattened the end of the wire, then soldered a small brass plate to
it. The plate has a 1/4" hole in it. All my toroids have the same size
hole. All I have to do is put a short bolt and wing nut to do quick
changes (I also use another small brass plate on the other side with the
wingnut).

Bob Volk