[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Great sparks! Then....

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: Travis Tabbal <bigboss-at-xmission-dot-com>
>
> Well, thanks to everyone for the help getting my new 6" TC running.
>
> I decided to run more power and the second cap I built, since I couldn't
> tune with just one. I got it tuned up and got up to a good power level,
> the sparks were looking good. Then, I got some interesting buzzing from my
> cap. *sigh* One of them blew. Well, I learned a lot doing it, so it's not
> a total loss. But no more sparks for a while, have to build more caps. ;)
>
> One question, durring my higher powered runs I noticed something I had not
> seen before. I kept getting a small arc from my secondary ground wire to
> the inner turn of the primary. This happened at the higher power levels. I
> tried putting some poly in the way, but that didn't help.
>
> Do I need a larger inner turn on the primary? Or am I missing something
> here? I'm a few turns in from the outside on the tap, so I could loose a
> turn or two from the center and retune still. It's a 6" secondary with a
> flat spiral primary, inner diamater on the primary is 8".
>
> Travis

Travis,

This has got to be one of the most common problems that first-time
coilers encounter! You need to have AT LEAST 1.5 " clearance all around,
and significantly more if running at high power levels.

Remove your innermost primary turn and this should correct the problem.
Good luck, and play safe!

-- Bert --