[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Displacement current

to: Richard WW, Scott, et al

A modern radio wave is certainly has displacement current elements.  That is
one reason Maxwell's elegant equations predict the possibility of a radio
wave --- the idea of an electrical current flowing in a dielectric -- such
as a wave with both electric and magnetic components traveling thru the air.
The idea of a current flowing thru an insulator was unthinkable before
Maxwell demonstrated mathematically the concept of displacement current.

Extremely high vacuums are usually dielectrics, ie, non-conductive.  A
modern x-ray tube for example has a very high vacuum otherwise it certainly
would not be able to hold off high potentials across its elements.

My comments regarding plasma tanks may has been misconstrued.  I was
refering to a research plasma tank in which there is usually a high vacuum
with a plasma across a portion of the tank between electrodes or other
elements.  A coaxial beam of microwave energy is usually employed to measure
currents in the plasma and plasma densities.

This is getting a bit off of TC construction, so thanks Terry for allowing
the discussion.  This will close my posts on displacement currents.

Regards,

Dr.Resonance-at-next-wave-dot-net