[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Good Deal? SURE !!

> I am willing to bet it is a DC cap. If the unit is an older model, then
> DB could stand for "Deutsche Bahn" (german train company).
> The DB used to have parts specificly made for them (hence
> the "DB" number). What bothers me is the discrepency (sp?)
> in the voltage rating (15kV x SQRT(2) = 21.xxkV). The cap
> would be overvolted. Sorry, "ER" doesnīt mean anything to
> me.

Actually, the cap says it was manufactured in Northern Ireland, but the
unit is definitely german as high voltage stickers are all over the
transformer (printed in German).

> >The whole thing is controlled by 3 220V Variacs hooked up in parallel
> >(I think). On the front cover is a digital readout of output
> >voltage/current, on/off HV, Variac dial 0-100, on/off vacumn, on/off
> >water.
>
> Hmm. I think the variacs should be connected in a Y (star)
> configuration. N is in the middle, the three phases attach
> to the "outsides" of the Y. Are the variacs mounted on a
> common shaft (should be the case in a 3 ph. setup)?

Yes. You are right here. They are connected via common shaft, and are
labeled on top WN wn, VN vn, UN un. Each of these are terminals with the
common wire connecting all three variacs going right in between the
capital "N"s and small w,v,u's.

> >Lastly, the input shows  380/220/2.4Kwatts!? and says 3 phase + neutral
> >under that. How is this possible? 15KV*150mA=2250 watts. Where do they
> >come up with a 2.4 Kwatts rating?
>
> This DEFINATELY sounds like a european setup. In USA
> they use (if I remember it correctly) 120/208V in 3 phase
> setups. The difference between input and output isnīt
> that large (2400W-2250W = 150W). This could
> accomodate for losses or the VA for the vacuum and
> water pump (sws = vacuum/water on/off)
>
> >Questions:
> >1] Can anyone tell me where this might have been used? Maybe a laser or
> >cyclotron?
>
> Whew, that is a hard question to answer. It might have even been used
> for a small linear accelerator. Does the box or components inside have
> any markings (other than the ones you mentioned)?

NO, not that I can see. It does have a label that says "Leybold-Heraeus"
High Voltage Supply.

> >2] Assuming it's DC output, can I hook it to my existing 6.5 inch TC
> >with added caps to match 150 mA rating? ( currently running 15K/60 mA
> >NST) Or what modifications are necessary to run it using this setup?
>
> You will need a charging reactor in series with the psu (secondary
> side). The schematic for a DC TC (bad ryhme) will be very
> similar to your AC TC. The question is also how much PIV will
> the diode stack take. Best bet is to ask Greg Leyh about this.
> He is the DC TC expert.

I'll do that!

> >3] I'm thinking I can always use just the transformer, if I wanted, and
> >disconnect the diodes and cap, and run it in my primary tank circuit.
> >Is this right?
>
> YesNo. As this seems to be a 3 phase xformer, each phase
> only needs provide 1/3 of the total power. So the transformer
> really is a 3 in 1 unit with 50mA per unit. However the three
> phase setup (transformer design) wonīt let you parallel the
> transformer alone (AC paralleling), due to the phase shift
> (120°) from phase to phase. So if you want to use it, you
> will need three phase input and use the rectifier setup.
>

> >4) Being that the input is rated at 380/220, is there a problem hooking
> >it up directly to my 220 dryer outlet? Do I need to modify or jumper
> >anything on the transformer to get it to work properly with 220V only?
>
> YES!! You need three phase input power. The 220V, you have,
> is simply 2* 120V on a single phase. The 380/220V sign tells
> me it is a Y configuration. 380V across to phases and 220
> from each phase (R S T) to neutral. If it where a delta
> (triangle) configuration you wouldnīt need neutral and the
> plate would simply read 380V 3 phase.
>
> >5)My first coil is powered by 15k/60 mA NST (900 watts). What can I
> >expect in performance increase with this monster as opposed to
> >increasing my NST to 120 mA?
>
> None (without three phase input) (:o(x).
> (sorry, couldnīt resist this answer).

Ouch. I was hoping to use it somehow. There are 3 wires going into each
coil, the diodes are tapped in seperately. The 3 sets of 3 wires go to a
bus bar arrangement. Couldn't I convert the way thes wires are hooked up
so that they run single phase 220? Wiuldn't that be the same as running
them in parallel? I assume I'd have to disconnect the diode board and go
to AC, but I'm willing to do that if I can use this power supply without
installing 3 phase (Yeah-like that's going to happen!)

Anyone have any suggestions for me here? I've read where you can convert
a polyphase motor to run on single phase, couldn't I do the same with
this transformer?

> >I know this is a long post, and if Terry wants to keep reply's offlist,
> >that's fine. I got too good of a deal on this baby, couldn't turn it
> >down ( total for HV box and 2 other variacs - $100.00! ).
>
> 2 variacs + 3 variacs in the box plus a .1ĩF cap for a hundred bucks
> is a great buy. So even though you (probably) canīt use the 3
> phase xformer, you still got a great deal.
>
> >Any help is GREATLY appreciated.
>

> Well I hope this helped and I didnīt disappoint you too much.
>
> Coiler greet from germany,
> Reinhard

Thanks Reinhard - your input is greatly appreciated.
Bob Volk