[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Displacement current

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: Richard Hull <rhull-at-richmond.infi-dot-net>
>
> Tesla List wrote:
>
> > Original Poster: Glenn <gcerny-at-megsinet-dot-net>
> >
> > I find this thread most interesting. While
> > not directly related to spark lenght, it has
> > provided food for though about how energy
> > transfers through  the media.
> > My thoughts have been aroused.
> > Please continue (I hope).
> > Glenn
>
>   Glenn,
>
> It is unfortunate that your interest has been aroused as this topic is
> really sort of off topic for this list and is more involved with
> theoretical physics than Tesla coils (at least directly.)  I have
> resolved to end my involvement where it stands.  Those seeking more info
> might check out a number of thoughtful books on the matter.  My favorite
> is " Newton versus Einstein" by Peter and Neal Graneau.  It can be had
> for $19.95 postpaid from Cold Fusion Technologies, Inc, P.O. Box 2816,
> Concord, NH  03302-2816.  Needless to say it is one of the few books
> which explains the whole business from both an exhaustive historical
> view point but also a scientific viewpoint.  It is a thrilling and
> thought provoking read.  A scientifc adventure into the world of
> electrodynamics of both the 19th and 20th century.
>
> With this, I will sign off this topic on this list.  In spite of the
> fact that there are a few coilers who are interested in the grander vista
> of understanding associated with the physics of Tesla coils, this is a
> builders list serv, and I am sure that Terry would wish others to follow
> in this exodus from this specific thread.
>
> Richard Hull, TCBOR
>
> <<<< I was asked to let this thread alone since many respected people on the
> list felt it was of interest.  This thread will stay active for now.
Although
> it is pretty theoretical, it does have meaning to those that care.  This is
the
> kind of thing that stays on topic till it dies a natural death and does not
> pose a problem of going haywire like some threads do... - Terry >>>>

All,

I highly recommend this book as well - the father and son physicist team
of Peter and Neal Graneau has simply done an outstanding job of
resurrecting the historical evolution of EM theory. They also trace how
and where some _possible_ missteps occurred along the way.

Most importantly, they present compelling empirical evidence of cases
where clasical field theory does not predict the observed results. The
experimental evidence _is_ real, and can relatively easily be duplicated
via exploding wire, quarter-shrinking (I've seen it with my own eyes!),
railguns, and other very high-current events through metallic
conductors. The magnitude of the tensile forces (sufficient to literally
pull metal conductors apart) are not predicted by Lorentz-Field theory.
I must admit that I was initially quite skeptical... but I can honestly
say that this book, and a similar one (Newtonian Electrodynamics), has
considerably broadennd my perspectives - both are solidly written,
backed by solid bibliographies. And unlike many EM books, Newton vs
Einstein is actually a fun read!

If you _really_ think you understand EM theory, want to get a bigger
perspective on EM theory, or if you truly believe that EM theory is a
"dead science", you owe it to yourself to check out this book...

-- Bert --