[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Elementary Lecture

  Richard H. -

 Thank you for the information you supplied in your post. However, I cannot
agree with you that "action at a distance" is "mumbo-jumbo". It does
reasonably describe electrical forces that can create action at a distance
with no physical connection between the source and the load.

  You have given me a new insight of electrical fields when you describe
these fields as "funky little field fingers reaching out across space". I
know I will remember your description long after I have forgotten Maxwell's
explanation.

  I do not believe that "displacement currents" exist mainly because they
are not needed to describe any electrical phenomena of today. Unfortunately,
Maxwell's "electric displacement" has been misinterpretated as "displacement
currents". The two wordings have completely different meanings. Have you
ever measured displacement currents?

  Coilers have mentioned near and far electromagnetic fields around radio
transmitter antennas and Tesla coils. As you have probably made more Tesla
coil measuremts than any coiler have you ever measured these fields and, if
so, what were the results?

  John Couture

---------------------------------------

At 07:34 PM 3/7/99 -0700, you wrote:
> [...]
>
>> What is your understanding of displacement current
>> in both conductors and dielectrics? Maxwell actually said "electricity
>> displacement" and also indicated this occurred in both conductors and
>> dielectrics.
>
>****************Yes, and both conductors and bulk atomic dielectrics contain
>charge carriers or electron orbitals which can be displaced and stressed.  All
>these support common conventional current flow as we understand it.  A vacuum
>has
>none of these.  I can see cause and effect, but is Maxwell's explanation the
>one I
>am going to accept?  Probably not for the vacuum.  There is too much hocus
>pocus
>in this,  As bothered Maxwell.  Still, if accepted, it closed his equations
and
>lets us engineer.  But, does it give us a grip on the reality of the process?
>RH
>********************
>

>>   Could you give us more information on how a Tesla coil represents two
>> capacitor plates and how the transfer of energy thru the system takes place?
>>
>>   The term "electrostatic" is not an outdated term today when it is used
>> properly. It is definitely a static electrical field as taught by present
>> day physics books. See my post on electric fields under "Tesla Coils and
>> Lamp Tests".
>
>********************************I see the effects, as did Maxwell and any
>experimenter!  However placing a term in an equation and having it work out
>doesn't give an intrinsic understanding of the reality of the process to which
>the
>term relates, only a an engineering proceedure which functions.
>
>If we think about it, we might change the term for the displacement term to
the
>mother goose factor " Fmg" and the equation would still solve.  The idea of
the
>field is not maxwellian, but Farady's intuitive stab at understanding
>magnetism's
>and electrostatic's seemingly  magic interaction at a distance.  This concept
>was
>"refined" and properly "sanitized" of the "taint" of "action at a distance"
>mumbo-jumbo and replaced with a respectable and seemingly intuitive contact
>field
>action mumbo jumbo of the modern school.  Remember,  there ain't any way to
>transfer energy in these systems with out those funky little field fingers
>reachin' out across space.  There is no way to transfer charge, energy or,
>create
>magnetism without our solid current carriers of atomic nature in the vacuum.
>
>Remember, "weigh and consider".  We are so deeply steeped in this thing we
have
>no
>reason to look about.  Besides why worry, the equations work, don't they?
This