[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Forced Air (was: Re. need some input)

In a message dated 3/24/99 6:01:09 AM Mountain Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

>  I suspect that the optimal static gap configuration may lie somewhere
>  between a single gap (lowest gap losses but worst quenching) and 10-12
>  gaps (better quenching but higher gap losses).  And since the individual
>  gaps would be necessarily large, forced air would be important.  So many
>  things to try, so little time...
>
>  Regards, Gary Lau
>  Waltham, MA USA

   I seem to have settled on a medium design for gaps.  I presently use a
setup that has four gaps- two using large silver relay contacts with approx
.125 inch spacing and two Miller tungsten gaps(thanks again, Arcstarter)
spaced at .025 inches.  This combination seems to run well and does not
overheat(no forced air cooling) and seems to provide a decent quench to the
arc.
    I was able to run my coil for about an hour a week or so ago(for picture
taking) and only needed a couple of cooling off breaks.  These were needed to
allow my primary filter circuit to cool off, not the spark gap.
Mike