[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re Light Dimmer to Adjust Spark Gap Fan?

>Original Poster: Adam <psycho-at-tradewind-dot-net>
>
>I've heard that you can't use a light dimmer on a Tesla coil because
>they can't handle inductive loads.  This makes sense, because that would
>just be too easy.
>
>What I'm wondering is whether I can use a light dimmer on the fan
>cooling my spark gap.  I mean, a fan isn't nearly as electrically
>complicated as a Tesla coil, and I'm always looking for budget friendly
>solutions.

It depends on the type of motor in the fan, but the answer is probably
"no".  If the fan has brushes, then you can use a dimmer.  But most fan
motors do not use brushes and these cannot be used with a dimmer.

I used a dimmer on my vacuum cleaner motor (with brushes) because at full
throttle, it draws over 10 Amps and is too loud (and provides way more
airflow than I need).  But with any reasonable type of fan, is there a
need to slow it down?

Regards, Gary Lau
Waltham, MA USA