[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: DC to AC Converter

Tesla List wrote:

> I too would be interested in a inverter design. I believe this is on-topic,
> for any coilers wanting to do remote coiling. Commercial inverters are
> going to be $400+ for 750 watts or more. Generators, are realistically the
> most economical...

Seems like this would be a perfect application for some of these 400 hz surplus
generators you see for sale for essentially scrap value.  400 hz should go
through a pig just fine (don't know about NST).  C&H sales has several large
400
hz machines cheap (http://www.candhsales-dot-com)  That and an el-cheapo car motor
would do the trick for far less than what an inverter would cost.  400 hz
motors
are dirt cheep too.  A 2 pole motor would really make a rotary gap sing!
That'd
be 24,000 rpm.

The compact car motor trick is very viable.  I built a 20 kw 60 generator for
my
catering wagon (I own a restaurant too) using a surplus generator and a toyota
corolla motor.  The motor will pull the load at 1800 rpm and is as quiet as a
sewing machine.  This one has an electronic carburator and I was able to use it
to tune the engine for the best economy.  I paid $200 for the engine and tranny
(to have something to hook the starter to) and all the support equipment
(radiator, etc) delivered to my shop.

--
John De Armond
johngd-at-bellsouth-dot-net