[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Success with PP Multi-Mini Cap

Dear List:

As I mentioned a few days ago, I have had some encouraging results with a
new tank capacitor made from a series/parallel array of small .015uF
1.6KVDC polypropylene commercial caps.  Briefly, I used series strings of
sixteen of the caps for an effective DC voltage rating of 25.6KV, with a
15KV-RMS/60mA NST power supply.

Last night I logged over 15 near-continuous minutes of operation, so I
wanted to declare some measure of success.  I have documented the
capacitor on my web page at:
http://people.ne.mediaone-dot-net/lau/tesla/tesla.htm

I also scanned some of the data sheets from the Wima catalog that
describe how to determine the maximum voltages one may apply to these
caps.  Just like a bumblebee, this thing shouldn't fly, but it does!

Performance of the new cap seems to be identical to that of my Fair Radio
Sales cap, as well as my failed extended-foil rolled poly cap.  Only this
one doesn't get hot, only very slightly, barely detectably warm.

Regards, Gary Lau
Waltham, MA USA