[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

DC to AC Converter.....400 Hz?

I have seen several of those 400 HZ generators for sale. I have no
experience with 400 Hz generators.  I was wondering if they are like most
generators they have an RPM rating.  If you run a 400 HZ generator 6.666
times slower than the rating will it produce 60 HZ and will the power output
be less also?  I could probably connect a DC motor to a generator and it
should run without making much noise.  A sound proof enclosure would help
reduce noise.

Gas engine powered generators make too much noise.  I would need a 200 yard
extension cord to get the generator far enough away to hear the TC running.
That doesn't make sence to me.

I drew up a circuit using 2 SCR's to produce 60 HZ 120 VAC 1500 watts.  I
like to use what I already have in my junk box if I can.  I already have a
1500 watt 10:1 transformer, several 400 amp 600 volts SCR's.  The driver
circuit is 120 volts 60 HZ from a 12 VDC car battery, I hope it will drive
the SCR's.  I am planning on building a prototype today if I get time.  I
don't have much experience with SCR's, I figure its never too late to learn
something new.  I am not sure if the drive is worth using but its OK to
experement with for now.  The drive I am using is the circuit I got off of
the web that is suppost to produce 120 VAC HZ 300 watts from a car battery
but it really produces 120 VAC 60 Hz 60 watts output. I don't know how much
voltage or power it takes to turn ON/OFF an SCR.  Maybe a 555 timer will
work for an SCR driver?  I have the SCR's connected to the input of the 1500
watt transformer, they turn on/off one at a time, one SCR pulses the
transformer positive and the other SCR pulses the transformer negative, 60
times a second each.  The output will be 60 HZ, not exactly perfect sine
wave.  My battery is rated 750 amp hours, I should be able to get 62 amps
out of it for a few minutes with no problem.

Gary Weaver