[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Flash Tubes

At 02:21 PM 3/27/1999 -0700, you wrote:
>Original Poster: "JimmyD" <jim_del-at-email.msn-dot-com>
>
>I was toying with the idea of using flash tube (more like the standard photo
>strobes) to be used as a sealed spark gap for tesla use.  Is this feasible
>or am I way off base??

        I'm sure there will be several replies to this, but no, it would not be
feasible-- since the flash tubes are evacuated.  As you would know if you
studied plasma spheres and flourescent bulbs, low pressure environments conduct
more readily than higher pressure ones.  As a result, a low-pressure gap would
simply arc instead of disruptively discharging, since the cap wouldn't have
time to build up a charge before the gap started to conduct.
        If you went in the other direction, and managed to create a feasibly
contained high pressure gap, using air, hydrogen or some other insulating
gas--
it would be a different story altogether.  However, since this creates certain
design problems for the hobbyist, the high pressure gap is almost never used in
Tesla coil work.
        Hope I could be of some help.
                --Mike