[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Caps

Doorknob caps have high losses at the frequencies we use in coils. They
will self-destruct faster then most other types and get hot. The contacts
will also erode over time. They will work for a time, with lowered
performance then real pulse-discharge caps. They are excellent for RF
bypass use though. I use 4 surpluss ceramic caps in my NST protection
network.

For a good commerical cap for TC use, look for the Maxwell pulse-discharge
caps. I think Resonance Research sells them.. (Dr. Resonance can answer
for sure) They are very well suited for TC use and nearly indestructable.
I wish I could afford some. ;)

Another option is a bit experimental, but look on the list for the
discussion about MMCs. It's just a coupple hundred small pulse-discharge
polyproplene (I probably misspelled that) caps in series-parallel strings.
So far they have held up quite well on NST powered coils. I don't know the
power levels, but for starting out it's a good way to get started and
probably significantly lower cost then a Maxwell. I think some people have
posted prices in the $150 range. I'm sure those who have done it would be
able to provide more info on them if you asked.

For surplus stuff, I just check arround various places that have it and
see if there is anything interesting. Many times the local surpuls stores
will have something interesting, but I have never found a tank cap. I have
found bypass caps, big wirewound resistors, variacs, HV wire, etc..