[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: paralleling sec wire

My son and I did it on a 6.5" by 24" coil. We got just under 5' arcs on first
fire up using a 7" by 32" toroid and 15 kV 180 ma power with a static gap.
That coil is in the physics department at Cal Poly San Luis right now. My son
used it in his senior project and it is being very well received. He was just
asked to leave it there another week. They do not want to keep it because "We
don't want anyone electrocuted."
We have only found two difficulties: 1) Tuning is a real pain if you change
anything to experiment around, and 2) The coil itself holds a charge for a
considerable time after use. I have put my arms around it to remove it, a
long time after it had been running and got a real surprise. I suppose that
is internal capacitance though I have to admit I am not sure how it is able
to do it.

Bill Langston

--
II*