[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: Run Failure, need help

>Original Poster: "Andy Cleary" <gemware2-at-dreamscape-dot-com>
>
>	Today, Sunday 5/2 I tried out my coil for the first time.  First what
>happened is I put the secondary coils ground wire and the primary coils
>power wire through the same hole in the base, and that was a big problem!  I
>got smoke, burning, etc.  After that I made a different hole, and brought
>the first primary coil turn further from the secondary and cured that
>problem.  The problem that I have now is major arcing up and down the
>secondary coil.  I suspect that it is due to the poor surplus wire that I
>have been warned about.  If that is the case then I will apply a few liberal
>coats of polyurethane with a brush.  Would it possibly be a coupling
>problem?  Would it help If I raised the coil up a notch?  Thank you for the
>help in that area.  now for more general questions.  What widths should I
>start the spark gap and safety gap at?  The safety gap does not fire at all,
>and the static gap fires very often, almost continual.  Another question I
>have deals with the moveable tap.  When I tried putting it in both in the
>middle and the outside, nothing works.  No arcing, no sparks in the gap,
>etc.  I am very excited, though, because I think that it is working fairly
>well for a first run.  Thank you for the help,
>
>-Andy Cleary

If there is arcing up and down the secondary, stop right away before you
permanently damage it, and raise your secondary up higher to reduce the
coupling.  That's the problem, not your wire.

The main gap is supposed to fire continuously.  If it ever stops firing,
even just briefly, it means one of two things.  Either you've toasted
your NST, or that you are about to because your main gap is too wide.
You didn't say what voltage your transformer was so I can't comment on
what a proper gap setting is.  With my 15KV NST, I use a 0.36" wide gap,
but that may be pushing it.  I'd suggest less, especially if you are
using a lower voltage transformer and a less than bulletproof cap.

The safety gaps should be adjusted so that with the primary tap and main
gap NOT CONNECTED (very important), the spacing is just below the point
of arcing, typically about 0.25" on each side for a center-tapped
transformer.  Also, the safety gap electrodes must be rounded and blunt
surfaces, preferably small spheres or round carriage bolt heads, not just
bits of wire.

Regards, Gary Lau
Waltham, MA USA