[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: Run Failure, need help

	I had an idea that it may be the coupling, but I being lazy just put on 2
coats of polyurethane ( I would have to disassemble everything to raise the
coil).  I tried the coil again on 5/4, and I got a few large bursts from a
few places in the secondary coil.  I tested it, an it still has continuity
so I figure it is still OK?  Unfortunately I thing I blew the transformer
somehow.  After increasing the main gap distance the safety gap fired a few
times, then the whole thing stopped.  Suspecting the transformer I 'tested'
it by creating an arc from each HV output to the case, and they both worked.
I suspect I will try a few different transformers.  I should have mentioned
before that the transformer is a 15000 v 30ma NST.  One small flaw that I
found was that my beer bottle capacitor was rated for .009 uf rather than
.005!  I based it on an idea I saw in a book, which rated each bottle at
.0005 uf, so I used ten.  Today I tested it with a capacitance meter, and I
found the error.  Could that also have contributed to the failure?  One more
question- for the ground I am using a 14 awg cable attached to a steel or
iron rod, about 4ft in the earth.  Is that sufficient?  Thank You,

-Andy