[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Static electricity is dangerous

YES STATIC ELECTRICITY IS DANGEROUS:

Lightning is little more than static electricity, and it KILLS.  Besides,
current electicity is not really different than static electricity.
While current electricity is a rather organized, rather steady flow of
electrons, static electricity is either stationary isolated charges, or
charges moving in an unorganized and unsteady manner.

	Really, voltage magnitude does not directly determine how dangerous an
electric shock is.  For example, the potential difference between you and
the doorknob on a cold, dry day, may be as much as 40,000 Volts, but it
is not lethal.  On the other hand, the 120 Volt outlets in your house can
kill you "dead as a stick".

	The lethality of a shock depends on how much current flows through you.
(At least that's what all the well informed electricians say.)

	Despite the enormous voltage on a doorknob, it holds little charge.  The
current through you is only a few milliamps at maximum, and only lasts
for a microsecond, or so.  This is not a lethal situation.
	However, the 120 Volts wallplug is capable of putting out several amps.
As little as 0.5 amps for more than a second or so can be fatal
	With regards to your coil, the residual charges left on a coil after
operation are typically not lethal unless you have an absolutely
ENOURMOUS capacitance. Never the less, High voltage capacitors can be
dangerous.  While you may not be killed, you may recieve a nasty burn.
As easy as it is to short a capacitor, I would certainly do it.
	All the electricians that I have talked to say that pretty much every
fatality involving electricity also involves negligence and laziness on
someone's part, usually that of the victim.  Putting together all the
horror stories I've heard, any electrical practice that seems lazy is
probably dangerous as well.

							Brent
Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno-dot-com/getjuno.html
or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]