[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Copper braid and Copper strap (was Re: About copper strap)

>   I have a question regarding your statement that copper braid is worthless
> for rf work; what do you base this assertion on?
> I utilize 1/4" tinned copper braid as the main leads in a device which
> utilizes rf to inductively illuminate a plasma tube.  It works EXTREMELY
> well and I have not even considered using anything else; am I missing out on
> something by using the braid?  Granted, it does get hot, so maybe there is
> something to what you're saying about shorting out, but do you really think
> copper strap will work better in the transmission of rf?
>
> I look forward to your reply.
>
> Best regards,
>                              Trent

Trent,

I believe the proof is in the pudding: if it is generating heat, then it
is dissipating a substantial amount of power. I don't know what type of
RF power supply you have, but for a tesla coil, the RF ringing seems to
thrive on a high Q system, and braid is believed to have a lower Q for
higher frequencies and voltages (cause: skin effect; evidence: heat) and
surely work to damp the ringing.

If they are tinned, it is better, because the current can flow through
the tinning instead of in and out of the copper wires as they dive in
and out of the shape of the braid wire. A thin surface layer of the
tinning is no match for some solid copper strap or tubing, with lots of
surface area and a continuous straight path through the copper. Your
power supply may have a reason for dissipating energy in the wiring,
maybe as a built in low-pass effect, to inhibit higher frequencies or
something? Anyone ever hear of this application for braid?

Ramblin'

Wells