[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TC Criticall Coupling (was Overcoupling?)

Hi John,
          I'd be happy to explain...

> Original Poster: "John H. Couture" <COUTUREJH-at-worldnet.att-dot-net>
>

>   Malcolm -
>
>   What was the "K" coupling at 90% efficiency? Did you make any other
> coupling vs efficiency measurements?

Other coils I've measured also do considerably better than 50%. You
can measure the amplitude differences between two successive
secondary maximums and calculate the energy loss as a percentage
of total initial energy for two transfers which when divided by two,
gives a close figure for the power loss for a single transfer.

>   Are you saying that equal amounts of energy are lost in the TC rimary and
> secondary circuits at critical coupling (50% eff)? Please explain.
>
>   John Couture

Yes. Terman is referring not to capacitive discharge coupled circuits
but to circuits where steady-state impedances are present on both
windings (e.g. the IF transformer in a radio set). In an IF
transformer, there is a steady power transfer from one fixed
impedance to another whereas in a TC, the transfer is a transient
one. Additionally, the secondary impedances change markedly with the
onset of a discharge.

Malcolm
<snip>