[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Overcoupling??

Hi Terry,
           I do intend to get back to active coiling and try these
ideas out when a raft of current electronic projects are removed from
the garage.

> Original Poster: Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>
>
> At 04:45 PM 5/7/99 +1200, you wrote:
> >Hello all,
> >             Here is an excerpt of a discussion I've been having
> >lately with John Freau. It is just part of the conversation so gaps
> >will exist but you'll get the gist. Terry's mention of turns ratio
> >in regard to the topic spurred me to send this to the list. I hope
> >John doesn't mind me sending this.

<snip>
>     Very interesting indeed!!  My only comment, which I am sure you are aware
> of, is to keep the coupling coefficient from primary to secondary the same
> for both coils in your testing.  "Theoretically", both coils will behave
> exactly the same despite their very different dimensions.  It may be
> interesting since the coupling from primary to secondary is going to
> "bathe" both coils differently.  It will be very interesting to see where
> theory and reality differ in this case!  Of course, theories are adjustable
> where reality is not :-))

In the case where the pri and sec have identical dimensions, the
coupling is as close to 1 as you can get. I chose that starting point
purely as an illustration. In practice, I would start with somewhat
different dimensions (but similar). They could only be the same (a
bifialr wind for example) if low voltages were used in the tests.

>     Are you going to have a top terminal for these tests?  I assume not, due
> to how they would affect both coils differently.  If you are, I would be
> interested in the dimensions so I could look at the field distributions
> around each of these coils.

I was planning no top terminals to keep the results "pure". Could be
interesting though and might assist with a formulation for combined
capacitance.

Malcolm