[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: OZONE !!!!!! ( Warning, length )

Chris M.

	narrating in spooky voice......

	You are running your electrical device, and suddenly, above the smell of
oil and machinery and dust, you notice an uncomfortably enchanting aroma!
 A crisp clean smell, like a fresh mountain rain - yet at the same time,
sharp and bitter . . . . . yes, my friend . . . . . it could be no other
. . . . . OZONE !!!!!!

	Seriously, though, that definitely sounds like ozone.  Gave it away when
you used the word "crisp".  Here's the low down on OZONE !!!

	Ozone is also the stuff you smell around a photocopier after it has been
running for a few minutes.  It is three oxygen molecules stuck together.

	But do not let this wolf fool you with his sheeps clothing!  Unlike his
brother, 02, the two oxygen molecules together that you breathe in the
atmosphere, THIS 03, the evil half, is poisonous !!!

	Ozone is formed from tesla coils in the following manner :

	The high voltage from the discharge streamers and localized ionization
causes the 02 molecules in the atmosphere to undergo a chemical reaction.
 These oxygen atoms regroup into triplets instead of pairs.  Once
together, they stay together.  Anything that creates a streamer in the
air, like TC, jacob's ladder, etc, usually makes ozone.

	And here's why it's poisonous :     ( as it was explained to me by all
the safety 					guru's )

	You breathe it in through your lungs.  Your body utilizes two of the
three in the deadly triplet, and does with them what it normally does
with oxygen.  But that third, lone oxygen molecule is free to go around
and cause all kinds of mischief, engaging in chemical reactions that
weren't meant to be in the body.

	Here's just HOW DANGEROUS IT IS:

	1.  First, you'll just notice the smell.  No big deal.
	2.  After you've had way too much, your nose and throat may get a little
irritated.  	     Still, no big deal
	3.  After even more, you'll get a little light headed and mabey a mild
headache.
	4.  More still, and you'll get the most skull crushing, mind throbing -
Oh God
	     please kill me or make it stop - headache you've ever had in your
life!
	5.  Continued exposure after step 4 may make you faint, or need a trip
to the 	      hospital.
	6.  Extreme cases of exposure can cause liquid in the lungs, even death.

The worst I've ever been to is step four, and it was due to a tesla coil.
 My temples throbbed for about a minute like they had been hit with a
ball peen hammer.  I thought I was very near step 5.  I used to love the
smell of ozone, but since that experience, I can't even stand the
faintest wisp of it.

	Don't get to bent out of shape, though -- you would have AMPLE warning,
that is to say, plenty of step 4, before it ever got to step 5, and you
would have to do something REALLY stupid for it to get to step 6.

	Now that I've scared you real good, hear this: Since you're outside, I
can't think of anything you would really need to worry about.  The only
time I've ever known it to get past step 2 is when you're in an
unventilated closed up shop for way, way too long, standing right next to
something that produces gobs of it, like a TC.  Photocopiers seldom if
ever get that bad, even inside.

	I've never heard of it sticking to anyone's clothes, though.  That's a
new one.  But I wouldn't doubt any of what you said.  The only active
protection against it, i.e. breathing mask, would be some scuba gear, and
that's obsurd if you ask me.

	If you just absolutely can't handle it, or if you get to step 4, then
hey, just take a break and get some fresh "oxygen"  (the right kind).
:-)

							Brent

Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno-dot-com/getjuno.html
or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]