[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

skin effect

Antonio,
I see your reference to the two parallel conductors as more of a simple
current balance than as relating to skin effect properties. Strictly
speaking, skin effect is not so much a
magnetic property as it is the consequence of inductive reactance when we are
talking
about A.C. The charge resides on the surface of the conductor because the
self-inductance of the wire produces its own X sub L. But X sub L increases
with frequency so
with D.C., X sub L is zero and skin effect results solely from the repulsion
between like charges.
The way I learned it, the X sub L is greatest where the flux is the densest
near the center
of the conductor, making the impedance a minimum at the surface of the
conductor. All
this, of course, will also take place in the more complicated geometry of a
solenoid and
the math gives me an itchy skin effect.  I think any edition of Sears &
Zemansky will have
a discussion of this.  :>))

Ralph Zekelman