[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: New Guy / Primary Coil

On Tue, 11 May 1999 08:13:20 -0600 Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com> writes:
>Original Poster: "Walter Murray" <WaltMurray-at-classic.msn-dot-com>
>
>                     Original Poster: Greg Murray (waltmurray-at-msn-dot-com)
>

>Hi All,
>         My name is Greg. I have been monitoring this list for a
>while, and I
>think I'm ready to build a
>Tesla Coil. This is my first attempt at actually building a Tesla
>Coil, but I
>have used them to
>teach people about Tesla in the Museum of Science, Boston (Home of the
>world's
>largest air-insulated Van de Graaff generator) Anyway, I was thinking
>about
>constructing my primary with
>25 or so turns of 10awg copper wire. Will  this work?, and if it does,
>should
>I use bare or insulated?, solid or stranded? (I was thinking about
>Essex 10
>awg type THHN stranded)
>

>Thanks in advance,
>Greg Murray
>- Museum of Science, Boston

Yes, that will work. Use uninsulated solid if you can. Another good, and
commen and cheap material is the flexible copper tube sold in 50ft.
lengths at hardw3are stores for ~15 to 20 bucks.  Stranded wire will
work, but it may induce leakage and possibly inter-turn sparking. The
solid wire will also have a greater strength, making the turns stay put
better.

BTW- there's a huge (largest air-insulated in the world) Van de Graaff at
the Boston Museum of Science, isn't there?

With silent lightning in my hands,
-The Electrophile-
Grayson Dietrich
visit my HV page!
www.geocities-dot-com/WestHollywood/Stonewall/2509/index.html

Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno-dot-com/getjuno.html
or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]