[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

A dangerous thing?

Hi All,

	I don't mean to be morbid in our usually upbeat group but once in a while
we need to stop and remember.  Ours is a VERY dangerous hobby!  Below are
the brief accounts of the three people (that I am aware of) who have been
killed...

Hernry L Transtrom - Electrocuted while working on a stage and using a
large Tesla coil.  He inadvertently allowed a power arc to go from his body
to some metal framing that was part of the stage backdrop.

1992 - Graduate student intern working at McDonnell Douglas in St. Louis.
A Tesla coil was being used to test aircraft parts against the effects of
lightening.  The intern got too close to the tank circuit and either bushed
up against it or a spark left the circuit and stuck him.  He never regained
a heartbeat despite excellent CPR and paramedic responses.

March 29,1998 - An unsupervised 14 month old boy wandered into the poorly
made AC line wiring of a Tesla coil.  He was found some time later but
could not be resuscitated.

It should be noted that the last two of these incidents may have gone
unnoticed if it were not for the Internet.  The possibility of there being
others that we don't know about is very high.

	Terry