[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Surge protectors as silent spark gaps

I have been using for several hours a 350 V small surge protector (small
cylinder with a transparent window) to discharge a 0.1 uF capacitor charged by
my switching power supply. Charging voltage was about 300V and pulse repetition
rate was about 70 Hz.

The nice thing is that the surge protector didn't break or even get sligthly
warm: it was directly in parallel to the capacitor (no series inductance or
resistance). And it was EXTREMELY silent (I could hear nearly no sound at
all!).

That makes me to believe that this kind of devices could be used in a long
string as a static silent spark gap. Anybody has experienced with that?

MMSG = Multi Mini Spark Gaps ????