[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Cap size

<<
> But are there any big advantages to using a LTR size cap.
> Also will a LTR cap put more strain on the power supply?

> Cheers Mike Tucknott   >>

Mike, all,

Assuming you're using NST power with a sync rotary gap, an LTRS
cap can give the same
output spark as a reso-cap, but a higher variac setting will be needed.
It will be necessary to feed more than 120 volts to a 120 volt rated
NST to equal the length that would be achieved at 120 volts with a
reso-cap (depending on the gap phasing).  But the LTRS cap will
produce a given spark length with less voltage on the output of the
NST.  For this reason, the LTRS cap may stress the NST less than
a reso-cap, so that is an advantage.

I just built a new sync rotary gap that is simple to constuct.  I'll
post a photo at my webpage soon.  This work will be on my latest
videotape which is gradually getting done, but is not ready yet.

Cheers,

John Freau