[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: capacitor identification

<<
 >Original Poster: "Kevin Wahila" <knw2-at-lehigh.edu>

> about a year ago i picked up a capacitor at a ham fest and was wondering
> what type of information, if any, i could get on it, specifically the
> voltage rating.  i measured it to .0021 microfarads.  that's about all i
> know.on the top are the two screw terminals and the words SANGAMO, then
> MICA CONDENSER.  it's 2 1/8 inch deep by 2 1/3 inches wide by 2 3/4 inches
> high.  that's about it.  my main questions are what might be a possible
> voltage rating, what was it once used for and what might it be used for now.

> thanks all
>kevin wahila

Kevin,

Sounds like a mica transmitting cap.  These are usually rated at 8kVAC
for the brown phenolic cased types, and 10 to 12kVAC for the ceramic
cased type of this size.  I use these for tube coils, and occasionally in
series or series/parallel combos for spark gap TC work. It's a good
quality TC cap if it's a transmitting mica.  There are also smaller ones
that are also good for tube coil work, but rated at 5kV or less usually.

John Freau