[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Wireless Energy Transmission

Not to get hung up, but Terry was right.. 377 ohms (120pi) is the Impedance
of Free Space, the permittivity (aka the dielectric constant) of free space
(or air) is 1 (in relative terms) and approximately 8.85E-12 F/m in
absolute units.

The propagation speed of electromagnetic radiation (light, radio, etc.) is
c= 1/sqrt(epsilon *mu) where mu is permeability (magnetic property) and
epsilon is the permittivity (electric property).  Mu for free space is
defined as 4*pi*1e-7 Tesla*meter/Amp

The impedance is the ratio between voltage and current (Z=E/I) or in more
fundamental properties, the ratio between electric and magnetic fields.